Friday, July 20, 2012

First Trip to the Dentist!

I was much more nervous than Isaac was. He was even excited about going hours before we left. Usually, before his nap, we sit on the rocking chair and he puts his head on my shoulder, requesting songs. This time he only moaned, "Go to the dentist!!", over and over again. I finally had to put him down and let him put himself to bed.

I'm not scared of the dentist! I'm happy to be here!

We were called into the examination room by a dental assistant Isaac later called, "A very nice man." The assistant showed him how to brush monkey teeth!

What big teeth you have, Mr. Monkey!

We didn't have to wait very long for Isaac's new dentist, Dr. Ruby Gelman (the best pediatric dentist ever). We both loved her. She was so sweet with him, so patient and steady, and very good at making the chair go up and down! She gave him cool sunglasses to wear, and time to inspect her bright purple latex gloves and the little dental mirror used for counting his teeth (16 of em!). She even polished his teeth with strawberry tooth polish, an activity she said she hardly ever gets to do with kids this young, but that Isaac was a star.

She also said his teeth looked great and that we should keep on doing whatever it is we are doing. Which, in case you are wondering is not very much juice, maybe once a day mixed with water for breakfast, and not much dried sticky fruit. He had been a raisin addict before, but I heard that they are the worst for kids teeth because they are sticky and get caught in the crevasses. He eats big meals and doesn't snack much. We brush just with water and she said that was fine. Her son is almost 3 and she still just uses water for him.

Then Isaac was able to pick out lots of toys (a whole dinosaur herd!), put them in a little bag shaped like a purple tooth, and we were outa there. Oh boy, I was so relieved.

Relieved momma, and Isaac, showin' of the teeth.
Those of you in NY, find Dr Ruby Gelman here ~

1 comment:

  1. I was smiling as I was reading through your post, Eva. :) The first trip to the dentist is oftentimes mixed with a lot of emotions, especially to the parent. As for your experience, I commend the dental assistant for using toys to help Isaac adjust. Dr. Ruby is also outstanding, which is pretty much expected. I’m looking forward to Isaac’s next trip; I wish he would be enthusiastic like before!

    ReplyDelete