Friday, December 2, 2011

The Discipline Begins


Yes, this little angel in a panda hat can drive me nuts.

I've been feeling pretty beat up lately by Isaac's shrieking, biting, intensely wanting stuff, intensely not wanting stuff.

So it was a wonderfully serendipitous moment when yesterday Jeremy sent me this book excerpt about discipline and your wonderful yet terrible toddler. It's helpful, inspiring and short. The author, Dr. Michelle Cohen, has a no nonsense approach that I like. It's along the lines of puppy training.

I like how he says not to make the little guys say sorry because they aren't sorry, since they don't understand sorry yet. I like how he explains to deal with a tantrum about putting on a winter coat.  This is what you are supposed to do:

1. Pin him down
2. Put on the coat
3. Go out

I feel like roaring like a lioness when I read those directions!  Woohoo! It is much easier though to feel strong and purposeful and lion-like sitting here in the quiet after-bed-time, than in the moment of upset. No matter, today I took a stand.

Isaac bit me, and I told him not to. He did it again and I picked him up, put him in his crib and left his room. My goodness, he screamed. He SCREAMED! It was a good thing that I had lots of dishes to wash.

He was a little clingy and upset when I took him out 2 minutes later, but he didn't bite me again, and cheered up pretty quickly. An hour later and we repeated the same scenario. No more biting after that. I dunno, maybe it worked?


4 comments:

  1. I love this! Remind me of this when Alden gets to that age, will you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i needed this link! eli is starting to act out too and i was thinking it's time to start setting some boundaries... but it seems too soon, he's still so young! my gut is telling me that it would be good for me and him, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good! There is a line between loving and caring, and feeling beaten up! We shall stay on the loving and caring side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, he's growing up soi fast ...

    ReplyDelete