Sunday, December 11, 2011

Very Sick Kitty


Yes, I am very skinny, and not feeling so hot.

I am not only Isaac's momma, but also the momma of a very sick cat. Goose has Cholangiohepatitis, which means her liver cells are inflamed, and the bile is not being excreted properly. Her biliruben is really high, so she's yellow and jaundiced, won't eat, and feels like poop. 

The vet said this often happens after a cat has had hepatic lipidosis, which she had, maybe 8 years ago. Its a similar course of treatment: we have to just make sure she eats (+ appetite stimulant, + antibiotic, +streoid), so she's got a feeding tube again. Its a weird feeling to squirt all that stuff through the tube giving her no say in the matter whatsoever. And I feel guilty, paying so much attention to my human baby and not enough to her. I should have noticed her not eating enough earlier. Plus Isaac drives her crazy. She is really scared of him (as perhaps she should be) and that must give her lots of stress.

Poor thing, she was so groggy and out of it when I brought her home, she couldn't walk straight.  But I think she's happy now, or as happy as a cat can be with a feeding tube sticking out of her neck.  She's on my lap and purring. Its a different kind of purr than her usual high-class motor style purr, but a purr nevertheless.




4 comments:

  1. Oh no! So sad. Looks like Schmatty did. I hope she perks up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this post made me so sad- poor thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she's feeling better today, she even ate a little salmon! I think Isaac knows she's feeling bad, he hasn't been bugging her as much. Very sensitive!

    ReplyDelete