Thursday, April 26, 2012

House Hunting In Brooklyn is NO FUN

I want to let any of you know this who may not know this already.

Actually, it can be fun if you have loads and loads of money and can afford private school for your children (I'm considering the future here). But if you aren't loaded, want to live near a park, have a window in the kitchen, have windows in both bedrooms, not walk up a million stairs, and believe in, or want to believe in public schools, then you will not enjoy it one little bit.

For example, take a look at this 2 bedroom coop apartment in Park Slope, which has lots of windows, is near a park and good schools. The only problem is the millions of stairs, and that the second bedroom is teeny tiny:

The current owners do have style!

Aren't you cute!

It's just under a million dollars!
A million dollars for 1000 sq. feet of Brooklyn apartment.
I know that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll get 1 million dollars, but 27 people saved the listing on streeteasy and that means that someone might. Certainly not us.

I kept hunting online, and find this apartment:

1400 sq. ft., private patio, no stairs!

Lovely garden, and we went to  a very sweet birthday party here once.

Yippee! I'm feeling interested and happy. The schools are supposed to be good in Carroll Gardens. The building used to be a candy factory which sounds very sweet. It looks like a real possibility! Especially because it is only (I can't believe I am writing only) $749,00.00.

Then I look at the Maitenence + taxes: $2,324 per month. That is of course plus a mortgage. Oy!
(Corcoran begins showing it in mid May in case you are rich.)

The other places I am finding are affordable townhomes (if you have renters) that are right next to the highway. Or first floor apartments with bars on the windows that look out onto other first floor apartments with bars on the windows.

Its really a tough market out here in Bklyn.
What gives?

3 comments:

  1. It might be thrilling, but it’s certainly no fun to hop from house to house and not finding the house that fits your ease and budget. House hunting is never easy, particularly if you already have a picture of your ideal home in mind. I hope you were able to find the perfect home for you. Calvin @ CityBlockTeam.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are times when house hunting isn’t fun at all. You’ll feel exhausted sometimes, and you’ll reach a point when you want give up on your search. However, these difficulties will eventually lead you to your dream home. Anyway, working with a realtor can make your house hunt easier. How are you now? :)

    Jessica Wilkie

    ReplyDelete