Saturday, April 21, 2012

How did he learn to say that!?

Isaac just said his first serious, long-ish, sentence!

"Cat knocked over modem - big crash!"

We were stuck in traffic and he was saying "Cat knocked over!" over and over again. I really wanted to hear a noun at the end of the sentence, and Jeremy had told me earlier that it was the modem the cat knocked over. So I told Isaac, easy as that! No way Isaac knows what a modem is.

Big crash!

This language learning phase is really somethin' else. I'm so tickled by it!

This morning I gave Isaac a strawberry, and he happily asked for more Seba-da-yee.  And then more Seba-da-yee, until I had to stop myself from asking him back, "You want another sabadayee?"

I did a small bit of online research into how babies learn to talk and found some good stuff.

In the Huffington Post, there's an article about a new study which suggests that young babies learn language from lip reading as much as hearing sounds - I had no clue!

And in Parenting magazine, a basic overview of how it happens and how they study it. There is info on when language learning starts when its starts (in the womb!) and how fast they learn (very very fast!), and what we can do as parents to help (play!, read!)

Language learning with Grandpa
I remember before we had Isaac and I was nervous and worried about how to be good parents, Jeremy said that all we had to do was feed, and clothe him, love him, and read to him. I liked it laid out simple like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment