Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Uniquely Delicious Way to Make Tofu

I always feel secure when there is a brick of tofu in our refrigerator. And I've been feeling even more secure since I figured out the easiest and most delicious way to cook it; a variation from my old Sivananda Ashram Yoga Cookbook. Isaac loves this kind of tofu and always wants more more more. And so do we!

Here is how you make it:

In a little oven-proof container put a three or so tablespoons of butter (the more the yummier) and about equal amounts plus a little more Tamari or Soy Sauce. Melt them together in your toaster oven. If you don't have a toaster oven, go get one! Or put a little pan on the stovetop, which would be perhaps easier than shopping right now.

While the butter is melting, take a brick of tofu, firm or soft, but not silken, and slice rectangles about 1/3 of an inch wide. It doesn't actually matter how thick or thin the rectangles are, it's just personal preference.

*Doesn't look so delicious now, but just wait!...

Lay the rectangles on a cookie sheet and brush both sides generously with the butter-tamari mixture, and then (this is the weird part), sprinkle them with nutritional yeast! I feel like a big hippy using nutritional yeast, but it's the magic ingredient in this dish, and this is the only time I actually use it, so I think that makes is alright. Nutritional yeast (in case you are wondering), is very popular with vegetarians because its a complete protein and has lots of B vitamins.

Now it looks even worse! Nutritional Yeast up close on the right.

Everything becomes much more OK after you put your tofu + yeast in the oven, hot. I like to do 450 for about 20 minutes. It will get a little crusty on top, brown, and super savory with the soy and the butter soaking into the tofu for maximum yumminess. The nutritional yeast gives the tofu a dimension it definitely does not have without. The best way to describe it would be a cheesiness, though that doesn't really give it the credit it deserves.

All lined up and ready to go!

With brown rice and vegetables, this is warm, yummy, and healthy. Plus you feel delightful after eating it, which is a definite plus for any meal.

*For this recipe, just to be daring, I tried using black bean tofu, that's why it looks a little speckle-y.

No comments:

Post a Comment