| Yummm! |
Who says that little guys (or gals) can't eat salad? Actually I said that, and hadn't made a dinner salad in ages, but after coming home from our California road trip where we survived on bread, cheese, and peaches (not bad, but oh, am I sick of bread!), I felt the serious need for vegetables. And if I needed 'em, I decided the little guy needed 'em too!
I chose spinach because it's way easier for him to eat than lettuce; there's more of it to it for him to bite into, plus he likes the idea of eating leaves. He loves roasted cauliflower and the nutty sweetness that results from the little florets being roasted with the miracle combination of lemon juice and olive oil. Oranges give the salad a brightness and sweetness, which is the key to making a salad that people will actually eat. Finally eggs, because who doesn't need a little protein with their greens? Tossed with a super simple dressing of flax seed oil that tastes buttery and grassy all at once, lemon, and a wee bit of salt, this salad was eaten!
My Recipe:
Cut up a cauliflower bunch into little florets, the smaller the better for the toddler set. Use the whole bunch even if it seems like a lot because it shrinks when it cooks and it's so yummy, people will want more! Put them on a cookie sheet and toss with salt, olive oil, and lemon. Place in a preheated to 450 oven and roast until they look nice and brown. If they aren't browning enough, give 'em a little shot under the broiler.
While you are waiting, boil a few eggs, just shy of hard so that they keep their bright yellow yolks.
In a big bowl toss baby spinach (I can't help but love the lazy kind that comes in a bag), cut up oranges, and if you have a little cheese, little cubes of that too. You can add peeled cucumber and avacado too if you are feeling very vegetable-y. With a dinner salad, you kinda want to go nuts and add all sorts of stuff. It makes it much more filling and fun. Sprinkle salt (Salad comes from the word salt! Proof that it needs a little) on top, your desired amount of flax seed oil (super healthy, they say), and lemon and toss.
Scoop the salad into bowls and top with the roasted cauliflower, and the eggs cut into pretty wedges. Sprinkle a tiny bit of salt on the eggs and you're done!
Actually almost done. You should toast a little (dare I even mention) bread to go with, or my latest favorite, Ryvitta Rye crackers. Otherwise the people might still feel hungry (terrible to even mention)
And dig in with a big smile!
this looks SOOOOO good.
ReplyDeletei'm going to make it!
Oh good! And I hope the soup will be yummy for you...feel free to doctor it as necessary!
ReplyDelete:)