Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Terrible Twos Have Hit, Hard.

I feel like a crazed little being has possessed my child. This little being starts whining and crying approximately 5 seconds after my son has asked for something. Often it starts whining and crying while my son is asking for something. It is so loud, I can't even hear or understand what the both of them want.

It's nuts. Today he wanted to hear "the ding dong song" (frere Jacques) on the radio. I told him that we didn't have it, but that we could sing it instead. His answer was "NO!!! I want to hear the Ding Dong song on the RADIO!!". So I told him again that I wished I could play it for him, but alas, not possible, and he freaked out even more. I tried doing what The Happiest Toddler on the Block author, Harvey Karp advises and repeating back to him loudly exactly what he wanted "ISAAC WANTS TO HEAR THE DING DONG SONG ON THE RADIO!" I yelled that maybe 5 or 6 times, until I felt like a complete crazy person myself, gave up, wrestled him into his stroller and threw us both outside.

The crying stopped before we were up the stairs, and he was pretty much fine, except with a few tear streaks. I, on the other had, was completely exhausted and spent.

He did miss a nap on Monday, and didn't get enough sleep Sunday night either. I'm hoping that's a big part of this, because if this only signals the arrival of the terrible twos, I want to run away.

Happily standing in a puddle 15 minutes later.

No comments:

Post a Comment