Monday, July 29, 2013

Bite me.

Yesterday I came as close as I ever have to telling someone to bite me. As in, "Bite me, Lady."

We were at the Park Slope Food Coop. Isaac was sitting in the cart wanting EVERYTHING.

"I want to hold a potato!",
"NO! A bigger potatohoh!",
"Give me a pumpkin!",
"Does the checkout lady have to weigh the blackberries before we can eat them?",
"As soon as the checkout lady weighs the blackberries, I am going to eat them."

That was only the fruit and vegetable section. Once we were in the bulk aisle he got really rowdy.

"Animal Crackers!!!!"
"I want animal crackers!!!"
"No, no, no!!!! I want them in my hand!!"
"I want to HOLD them!"

I moved the cart 5 feet away to a safer area next to the spices. I told him I was going to get us some spiral pasta and made my way through the crowd to the pasta bin.

"Pasta?! Pasta!? I want to HOLD pasta!"
"Give me pasta Mommy! Mommy? I want the pasta mommy!"

By then I wanted to pretend that he was not my child and that I didn't know him. I wanted to get the spiral pasta and run from the bulk aisle as fast as I could. So I'm digging as fast as I can into the pasta bin when this lady comes up to me and says, "Why don't you just talk to him."

"Bite me."


3 comments:

  1. My sister described a similar situation (i.e., a long string of unanswered "Momma's" from the 3-year-old in the shopping cart) in Peck's grocery store in Calicoon, NY, but the person who said something was funny about it ("I don't think she's talking to me. She must be talking to you..."). And she was Debra Winger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH GEEZ!!
    i had a similar thing happen at the post office. i fantasized about the perfect come-back for days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roan and Isaac are in lock step right now. He is fraying my EVERY nerve and doesn't seem capable of stopping until I lose it. Then he says "Mama, you're happy?" with this sweet look on his face like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth even though he was acting like Leona Helmsley 10 seconds before. I'm convinced they are all psychopaths!

    ReplyDelete