I love it, thank goodness, since I have been reading it to the little guy 97% of nights, sometimes while he's on the potty, sometimes not.
I pretty much love everything about it.
I even love the author's name, Margaret Wise Brown.
For those who have not read it in a long time, here it goes (with just a little bit of commentary):
"In the great green room there was a telephone, [is someone going to call?, why is this first on the list of things?] and a red balloon, and a picture of--
The cow jumping over the moon [why the cow?, and not a cow? who is this cow she's talking about?]
And there were three little bears sitting on chairs
And two little kittens
And a pair of mittens [where did the little one go that his mittens are drying by the fire?]
And a little toyhouse [why are the lights on in the little toy house? who's in there?]
And a comb and a brush and a bowl full of mush [why a full bowl of mush? is there going to be a night visitor who will eat mush?, or did the little bunny not eat his mush?]
And a quiet old lady who was whispering "hush" [not an old lady, an old lady-bunny]
Goodnight room
Goodnight moon
Goodnight cow jumping over the moon [oh, I do like how she narrows it down!]
Goodnight light
And the red balloon
Goodnight bears
Goodnight chairs
Goodnight kittens
And goodnight mittens
Goodnight clocks
And goodnight socks
Goodnight little house [now it is a house, not a toyhouse!]
And goodnight mouse
Goodnight comb
And goodnight brush
Goodnight nobody [where'd everyone go??]
Goodnight mush [poor sad uneaten mush.]
And goodnight to the old lady [lady-bunny] whispering "hush" [has she been whispering "hush" this whole time?]
Goodnight stars
Goodnight air
Goodnight noises everywhere [oh!, what an ending! The lady bunny is gone and the room is dark except for the little lit-up toyhouse and the starry night sky]
I do feel a little insane now, for transcribing all the words, when I should be making dinner, but once I started I couldn't stop. Besides we're having an easy soup, and this labor-intensity seemed the ultimate way to show my appreciation.

I love this book!!!
ReplyDeleteYour commentary is hilarious, I would have enjoyed that as a kid.
Delete