But this time there was an article about breast-milk(!) inside! Quite a biggie!
First of all, I have never known of Wired magazine, with its microscope focused on innovation and technology, to report on our boobs. [Actually I'm wrong - there was an article about plastic surgery sometime ago, but that is certainly not my boobs!]
To summarize, breastmilk equals big money nowadays. The wet-nurse of times gone by has been replaced by craigslist like websites where women can hock their rich and creamy milk, for a fee, or for the satisfaction of helping another momma in need. The FDA is worried that mothers will make their babies sick with milk that has not been tested to be contagion free, and companies like Prolacta are spinning our milk in centrifuges to break it down and sell it concentrated. Its a delicate and expensive balance to feed babies!
I shouldn't be surprised that breastmilk has hit its own marketable stride, which it appears to be doing, as fast as I can pump. Or even faster. But it still leaves me a little uneasy.
Nevertheless, I couldn't wait to drink the article up. Which I did while flossing, last night. And which you can too, by clicking on the milk bottles below.
![]() |
| Photo: Mitchell Feinberg |

No comments:
Post a Comment